Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo?

This is the million dollar question. It has been a question for about 2 or maybe 3 years now since Kaka's reign is over. And now, that the Champions League final is coming and both players will try to shine, many are revisitting this answerless question. Personally, I like Messi more. Perhaps I like him more because I can identify with him more. He is South American. He is short. He like to dribble around people. I love that!

However, I think that you cannot compare them. I know is hard not to. But I dont think you can. I think that they are different players with different qualities. So how can you compare them? I would like to specify the qualities that I like from each player. Ronaldo can score from free kicks, long distances and with the head. Messi cannot do that. On the other hand, Messi can go around 2-3 guys easy and plays the one short touch passes with excellence. Ronaldo cannot do that. Can you imagine if they both end up on the same team?

I think Ronaldo deserved to win the FIFA player of the year in 2008 for all the trophies he won for Manchester United. However, I think this will be Messi's year to shine. He already brought 2 trophies to Barcelona. Many are saying that Manchester United will defeat Barcelona in the final. I love both teams. I love their soccer. However, my preference is Barcelona because I enjoy to watch Messi and company more. It is very disappointing that Dani Alves will not play. I am crossing my fingers that we can see Henry and Iniesta. I strongly believe that if Barcelona is complete (even without Alves), they can defeat Manchester United. I will predict a 2-1 game in Barcelona's favor!

Finally, I will like to end with this note. To be quite honest, if they ask me to select ONE player for my team, ANY player. I would have to reject Ronaldo and even Messi. It would be very difficult to do that. I must say that I would pick Steven Gerrard. Why? They guy does everything. He is Liverpool. He defends, blocks, creates, passes, headers, scores, free kicks beautifully. In my opinion, he is not recognized as he should be. He should've won the FIFA player already and many times over.

I want to see comments!

Dont miss the Champions League final May 27, 2009 at 1:30pm Man U vs Barca!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like Messi read my blog before the final! I said, "Ronaldo can score from free kicks, long distances and with the head. Messi cannot do that." And Messi responded, "You think I cannot score with my head? Wrong!" I was very glad the Henry and Iniesta played. And I was more glad that my prediction was almost correct! Barca 2-0! Best team in the world. This is Messi's year to shine!

    ReplyDelete